Stainless Steel Models
We now have Stainless Steel (SST) models in all sizes. Some stainless sizes are custom mouthpiece that cannot be returned. Stainless Steel mouthpieces have several unique characteristics.
- Milled from 304 Surgical Stainless Steel.
- Very durable surface that resists scratches, dents, and corrosion.
- Long life with no need for re-plating.
- Very smooth, comfortable surface with a good grip between that of silver and gold.
- Rich, brilliant sound with lots of edge when pushed.
- Exceptional responsiveness, producing a mouthpiece which speaks very quickly with clean attacks and improved articulation.
- Greatly reduced chance of metal allergy.
Stainless Steel Tops
Stainless steel tops can be used with brass backbores or stainless steel backbores. Brass backbores tend to settle them down a bit and warm up the sound.
Stainless Steel Backbores
Stainless steel backbores in heavy or regular weights produce a progressively brighter sound with greater projection. One of the best uses for a stainless steel backbore is to pair it with a Wedge Delrin plastic top. Delrin tops are very comfortable, responsive, and dark sounding. However, the sound lacks a degree of clarity and projection. Using a Delrin top with a stainless backbore provides the increased responsiveness of both stainless and Delrin with excellent projection and a sound just slightly darker than brass. Although it is naturally dark the sound will light up when pushed. This is the preferred mouthpiece for most of my playing.
Stainless Steel is much more difficult to work with than brass, taking significantly longer to machine, but the results are worth it. Several of our lead playing endorsing artists have now converted to SST.
Stainless Steel Top $160 for Original Line, $170 for Standard Brand line with the Double Oval Cup.
Stainless Steel backbore $90.
We carry many stock sizes. Other sizes can be obtained by special order. Contact Dr. Dave by e-mail for available sizes in stock.